I'm sorry... if you've been following the blog these 4 years, you know that food is really important, so naturally, that is where I am beginning. Because we have been ordering communally, my favorite way to eat, and a part of Greek culture, the dishes just keep coming out and there isn't a time I can take a photo of the table laden with food. So here are some before and after shots of our group meals.
 |
| Before: Tsipouradiko, in Santorini |
I finally articulated my strategy with the group meals. I always insist on ordering for the students (though I will ask for requests). One student asked me if he could order what he wanted, and I answered that there are a limited number of group meals, and if he didn't mind, my goal was to stretch them with unfamiliar foods, but done family style, so they could sample a really wide range of things and then know what they like and don't without always resorting to the familiar or having to commit to eating a whole plate of something weird. The students seemed to get that, even though the first night we ordered a chicken and goat risotto, goat pasta, two kinds of snails, fennel pie, along with Greek salad and roast pork! The second meal included grilled squid, which was presented as a whole squid -- body attached to tentacles-- instead of rings. This group is very game, and most of them seemed to have tried at least a snail. Watching them open up to new foods is one of my favorite parts of the trip.
 |
| After: Davandouri, in Athens. The table of the short-haired |
 |
| The other table at Davendouri., the table of the long-haired. |
I did manage to capture some photos with the meal only partially eaten. I will try not rhapsodize too much about the taste since that is just a tease, but I will say that no matter how much I've built up my expectations, Greece never disappoints. It is hard to have a bad meal unless you hit the really touristy places, which are pretty recognizable.
What can I say about the fruit -- these are the watermelon, honeydew, nectarines and apricots that we got at the end of the meal. One of the students remarked that they were so sweet, it was actually a substitute for dessert. If only we could focus more on the quality of our produce, we'd probably slow down the obesity epidemic in the US.
I was in Greece in the summer of 2004....and I am reading this and can ABSOLUTELY taste the food. So, so so good. And agreed on the fruit. OMG. Have fun. We are living vicariously! :)
ReplyDelete