Today we got up, Phil went to the American School for Classical Studies to work, I taught my class and ran some errands on campus, the boys did some work on their on-line classes, and the day ended with ice cream with Sorelle and an ultimate frisbee game and I returned to do some UNF work. This is regular life. I am trying to do it the Greek style, so I was up late last night and then early this morning (I do my Greek job during the day, and then in the late afternoon, when the Americans wake up, I email or Skype with people at UNF) and took a nap during the siesta time. Jeremiah, Alex and Ellie all joined me in the napping life. What is difficult is adjusting the eating. I woke up at 5:30 and had a coffee and cookie, and had little interest in dinner at 6:30, but poor Phil who was on an American schedule (to work by 9am, home in the late afternoon with no nap and hungry for dinner), had prepared it for an American schedule. I see why Greeks eat late at night... eating dinner after waking from a nap doesn't work.
I love this Mediterranean schedule -- I feel more productive by napping during my late afternoon slump, and I love being up with the kids at night (Ellie goes to bed between 11-12pm) so we can all take advantage of the lovely cool of the nights. The students met for ultimate frisbee at 9pm, and the field was crowded so the squeezed in between two soccer games. The lights weren't on, so by 9:30, they were playing in the dark. Just when they were ready to admit defeat, at 10pm the lights finally came on... that is when play is expected to BEGIN in the Greek "afternoon." It might seem lazy to nap in the day, but it is such a more efficient use of the cool nights.
This was regular life, so I took no pictures today, but here is one from yesterday at our Deree orientation lunch.
Finally, I thought I'd share a video of our resident Nikokyria and her daily job. Don't feel bad for Cinder-Ellie; not only does she sing while she works, she gets paid a euro for it!
I love this Mediterranean schedule -- I feel more productive by napping during my late afternoon slump, and I love being up with the kids at night (Ellie goes to bed between 11-12pm) so we can all take advantage of the lovely cool of the nights. The students met for ultimate frisbee at 9pm, and the field was crowded so the squeezed in between two soccer games. The lights weren't on, so by 9:30, they were playing in the dark. Just when they were ready to admit defeat, at 10pm the lights finally came on... that is when play is expected to BEGIN in the Greek "afternoon." It might seem lazy to nap in the day, but it is such a more efficient use of the cool nights.
This was regular life, so I took no pictures today, but here is one from yesterday at our Deree orientation lunch.
| I'm just chewing, but Alex is culturally confused! |
No comments:
Post a Comment