Hate to go on so much about the food, but it is so good here--and we've barely been out to eat! I (Phil) had one slight misadventure: I love lamb cooked the Greek way, so I went into a butcher and asked for lamb chops, only I mispronounced it, so it sounded like I was asking for small children. I got a strange look. What I got (which really was lamb; he cut it off the animal hanging in his window) was largely bone and gristle, although the little meat on it was very tasty. Better to stick to more familiar stuff. Last night I did one of my favorite dishes: roast chicken with ratatouille and orzo. Everything came out perfectly; why can't we have vegetables like this at home?
I have attached a link to a greek lullaby for Ellie! http://youtu.be/uxnmyC_AaPo
ReplyDeleteAnd here is the story behind it. http://keepingupwithcarol.blogspot.com/2009/03/blog-post.html
I am so jealous you are in Greece!
Here are the lyrics... I think.
Nani nani my child.
Come Sleep make it sleep
and sweetly lull it.
Come Sleep from the vineyards
take my child from the hands.
Take it to the sheepcote
to sleep like a little lamb,
to sleep like a little lamb,
and to wake up like a little goat.
Νάνι νάνι το παιδί μου.
Έλα Ύπνε ύπνωσέ το
και γλυκά ’ποκοίμησέ το.
Έλα Ύπνε από τ’ αμπέλια,
πάρ’ το παιδί μου από τα χέρια.
Πάρ’ το σύρ’ το στα μαντράκια,
να κοιμάται σαν τ’ αρνάκια,
να κοιμάται σαν τ’ αρνάκια,
να ξυπνά σαν τα κατσικάκια.