Monday, June 20, 2011

A kaleidoscope of fruit/a revelation of strawberries

 This is the way to shop!  Ellie and I went to the laiki agora, the weekly outdoor fruit/vegetable market.  It is steps away from our apartment, and mind-blowingly wonderful for a serious foodie.  The prices are good ($1.50 a kilo for cucumbers, $4 a kilo for cherries), and the fruit and vegetables are so ripe and fresh.  They were even labled with their origin:  we bought Marthon tomatoes and cucumbers!  There were multiple kinds of cherries, nectarines, peaches, plums, apricots, melon, watermelon, strawberries -- we couldn't carry everything.  The vegetables included tomatoes, cucumber, eggplant, beans (2-3 kinds), zucchini, leafy veggies, herbs, and one stand selling broccoli -- in other words, things that are actually ripe in this part of the world, not stuff from around the globe. I'd read an article that the laiki agoras were less local, but that doesn't seem to be a problem here.  I'm in eco-foodie heaven.
This is our haul for the morning.  There were twice as many strawberries, but Ellie ate them.  Who can blame her?  Having been eating strawberries from our own garden this spring, I thought I knew good strawberries, but these have us beat.  These were truly a revelation: a distillation of childhood memories of garden strawberries, warm and sweet and bigger than we were getting from our garden.  I'm going to get another couple of pints, as I doubt there will be any left for the boys (who are at work or camp) when they return!

No comments:

Post a Comment