Monday, June 20, 2011

Elinor's day

Ellie and I are spending the day together.  We walked the boys to their new camp, sent them off with instructions to remind people speaking instructions in Greek that they only speak English, and crossed our fingers.  Ellie wanted to go with them, but alas, she is too little.  So we did a little grocery shopping and then went to a playground where no language is no barrier.  This is Ellie's friend, whose name I didn't quite catch (it was about 15 syllabus long), and Ellie doing what Ellie does:  play in the dirt.  The dirt is very hard-packed here, though, so not an easy thing to dig up, but she managed it.  She made a salad out of rocks, dirt and leaves which I was obliged to "eat."
Next we went shopping at the laiki agora together, and when Ellie saw me standing on a chair to get a picture of all the veggies and fruits we bought, she copied me and this is her shot.

But really, what she wanted all along was the karpousi, or watermelon.  She bugged me until we bought it (I resisted only because walking home with a watermelon on top of the other stuff was a little nuts) and then bugged me until I agreed to cut it open for her even without the boys home to share it.  Naturally, it was the focus of her next several shots.

Enjoying the camera, she ended with a few Jeremiah-style self portraits.  One was just the mouth, one just the eyes, and a couple got her whole face.




No comments:

Post a Comment