Leslie: So I took at least two maybe even three semesters of Greek at Penn, and then another course (maybe even two) in Greece in 1994-5. I lived in Greece three summers and one academic year already (albeit none of it in the last decade), and just completed 27 half-hour recorded Greek conversation lessons. Surely I can speak Greek.
Well, sort of. Enough to muddle through: order at a restaurant, buy groceries, even negotiate with a landlord and buy paint, even do some simple interviews for my research. But I was in my 20s and a little shy, and never quite just went for it. Now that I am older and wiser and care less about my dignity and self-image, I've discovered that the answer is to just go for it, and take every opportunity to speak even when I've got no clear idea how to say what I want to say and am pretty sure I am going to look like an idiot. Part of my motivation is embarassement that I'm not yet fluent, and part is that I'm now willing to make a fool out of myself to help encourage my students to learn some Greek, and book-learnin' just doesn't cut it when your goal is conversation. Ellie is my inspiration here, and I'm just hoping I come across as at least eager maybe even amusing.
Ellie, meanwhile, is already recognizing that Daddy and I are using Greek. She'd been listening to the recorded Greek lessons in the car with us, and now asks us if we are speaking Greek and what it means. I think she is likely to outpace me. Alex listened to a little of the Greek as well, but is now getting serious. We are all acting like new readers, sounding out street signs as we walk.
Well, sort of. Enough to muddle through: order at a restaurant, buy groceries, even negotiate with a landlord and buy paint, even do some simple interviews for my research. But I was in my 20s and a little shy, and never quite just went for it. Now that I am older and wiser and care less about my dignity and self-image, I've discovered that the answer is to just go for it, and take every opportunity to speak even when I've got no clear idea how to say what I want to say and am pretty sure I am going to look like an idiot. Part of my motivation is embarassement that I'm not yet fluent, and part is that I'm now willing to make a fool out of myself to help encourage my students to learn some Greek, and book-learnin' just doesn't cut it when your goal is conversation. Ellie is my inspiration here, and I'm just hoping I come across as at least eager maybe even amusing.
Ellie, meanwhile, is already recognizing that Daddy and I are using Greek. She'd been listening to the recorded Greek lessons in the car with us, and now asks us if we are speaking Greek and what it means. I think she is likely to outpace me. Alex listened to a little of the Greek as well, but is now getting serious. We are all acting like new readers, sounding out street signs as we walk.
Ah Leslie! My understanding of Greek is that all words are made up. If they want to say something new - they just stick the words together to accomplish it. So ABSOLUTELY go for it. Sometimes when Philip translates my inlaws I am completely stymied by their comments but they are always quite eloquent. Perhaps you will be seen as an especially eloquent linquist?
ReplyDelete