Monday, July 16, 2012

The Everyday

It is about 1000 steps (1/2 mile) to get to the nearest grocery store.  I have to walk over the top of a hill to get there, so it isn't the easiest half mile I've ever walked.  In a typical work day in Jacksonville, I will walk just over 3000 steps from getting up to going to sleep, unless I make an effort. Here, because I have to go at least as far as the grocery store daily (our fridge is the size of a large dorm fridge), and typically we'll walk that route at least twice (the second time is for our gelato addition... the kids want to try all the flavors before they go, and there is a playground for Ellie to get some running around in) my baseline steps is significantly higher. If I go up to the campus and back, and then out to the laiki agora (farmer's market) and then walk around my house a little, I'm at 8700 steps (4.4 miles).  That is a day spent at home, really.  And that is before I try to take advantage of being here.  On the days when I take advantage of my job and accompany students somewhere, I can walk as many as 20,000 steps, which is 10 miles. I'm averaging about 12,000, which is 6 miles.  Right there, life is different.

I was at the butcher's today, conveniently located 2 doors up from the grocer (who doesn't sell meat) and next door to the baker, and a yiayia walked in right ahead of me.  Having been behind a yiayia before, I knew to sit in one of the chairs provided for waiting, and I picked up the magazine on the table.  The yiayia ordered a lot of meat, and had a long conversation with the butcher while he cut it up to her specifications.  Then when he was done, he put it all in a bag, walked around the counter, and carried the bag and her carry-cart up the stairs to the sidewalk, where he placed the bag of meat in the bottom of the bag and wished her good health as she took off.  I love that a relationship with the butcher is human being-to-human being, and that we understand patience and understand the limitations of aging.

Finally, being in a place that didn't originate with Puritans... We typically get a can of soda and a glass (sometimes with ice).  That is true in the US, too, but here, the glass is a beer glass... often if not always!  Can you imagine that in the US?  Giving a kid a beer glass?


1 comment: