Sunday, July 1, 2012

Palamidi

Somehow in all the visits I've made to Nauplion, I'd never been to Palamidi, the castle at the top.  We got in and I found myself walking alone towards a sign that pointed to "Kolokotrones Prison."  At first I couldn't find the prison, and found myself instead in Miltiades Bastion, which turned out to be a complex of empty rooms.

  
Peeking through a window, another courtyard with empty rooms and open doors.

Some of the rooms had bricked up openings.

I could hear the wind, which was strong, but nothing else, and though I was there for some minutes, no one came through... I was alone.  Whenever I end up alone in a place with such long history, I feel like I can hear echoes of the past... these are places where people walked, talked, lived, and in these castles, often died.  With tourists, they are just sights, but when I am alone, I always feel not-alone.  I'm not creeped out, just not alone.  

I went into all the rooms, and was surprised to see that they had windows, doors, and in some, primitive furnishings, like a bed and a bench.  Some had bricked up passages, and in a couple of others, there were passages that were still open. If I had a flashlight, I might have gone down this one, but as pitch-black as it was, I decided not to... if I hurt myself it might be hours before I was found!  This one below gave me a very creepy feeling...nowhere else, but this one room and its dark passageway.

In others, the openings were... open. 

Some had some furnishings, like this dusty bed.


There were wooden windowframes in some.

No comments:

Post a Comment