I almost feel badly about doing this, but the food is so much the point here, and by spreading the word and making you feel jealous, maybe you'll fight for better food, too.
Ok, here is the haul from the laiki agora (the weekly farmer's market that is around the corner from our apartment). The strawberries were the best, and I say that as someone who figured out that we get really good strawberries in Jax if you know where and when to go. The strawberries were fragrant, red throughout, juicy, and flavorful. The cherries were also pretty awesome.
 |
| lemons, tomatoes, cherries, zucchini (with the flowers left on), cucumbers, strawberries, apricots, carrots and onions |
I've not caught up from Rhodes yet, so there will be some flashbacks... this is one. We were with a group of students and wanted lunch... found this lovely place in the Turkish Market in Rhodes town. It was the sign that got me...
 |
| Slow Food! |
 |
| This was the spot! I love the hats as lampshades. |
 |
| And this was our lunch companion... the cat in the hat! |
And then there are the pastries. I was with a bunch of students who wanted lunch, but wanted something quick. I asked if they'd tried the pies, and they hadn't, so I took them to my favorite bougatsadiko (bougatza-store!) in Psirri. They had cheese pies, sausage pies, ham and cheese pies, kaseri (another cheese) pies, pizza (or pitsa, as it is spelled here) and 4 different kinds of bougatsa. A bougatsa is a filo pastry with a cream filling covered in powdered sugar and (if you like) cinnamon.
 |
| bougatza |
No comments:
Post a Comment