May Day is perhaps my favorite of all holidays. I had a maypole growing up thanks to my mother who collected all sorts of wonderful things. Later when I discovered that they still celebrate May Day in England, I was determined to make it there to see it and it took me 2 years of travels before I managed it. Returning to the US, it is one holiday I've tried to celebrate, leaving small baskets of flowers at my neighbors houses and a May Day party complete with maypole and Green Man.
The custom in Greece is to make a wreath of flowers and hang it on your door for good luck. I had heard from a friend who does it that you leave it there and when you take it down you burn it in the fireplace before it is replaced. I've done this faithfully since I got my own house and garden, but I don't recall seeing it much in Athens. Here we are in mid-June in Rhodes, and wreaths are everywhere. I thought it must be "the May" as it is called, but so prevalent? I finally asked someone who patiently began to explain, "Every year on May first..."
 |
| This is what I've understood is the traditional way, hanging right over the center of the door. |
 |
| Gothic door, Greek May. |
 |
| I saw a lot like this, with the wreath on the side of the door. |
 |
| A close up of the one above... not sure what the plant is, but the focus isn't dried flowers like it is in others. |
 |
| This one is right on the door, and very yellow! |
 |
| Another to the side... seems always to be the right side as you face the door. |
 |
| The door is gorgeous, too! |
 |
| Close up... I love the May under the wreath-like scroll work. |
 |
| And another to the right. It seemed to be both official doors and people's houses... interesting. |
No comments:
Post a Comment