I'm catching up... this is from Santorini. We took students to see the Prehistoric Museum, which was a small selection of objects from Akrotiri, the site that had been destroyed when the volcano blew up. I am used to things reconstructed from fragments or found out of context... it was a revelation to see these items which were in the rooms where they had been used before being abandoned in a hurry. They were often whole pieces, and it was clear what the function was. None of the usual displays that showcase a bunch of pots of a certain shape, but instead displays of items that really helped to connect with the ancient inhabitants.

|
| Portable oven... coals go underneath, food goes inside the oven or maybe also on top. It is basically a Weber... |
 |
| Souvlaki cooker. |
 |
| Plaster cast of a wooden table. I think perhaps the first piece of ancient Greek furniture I've ever seen. |
 |
| Small cooking pot that goes over the coals. I could use this for camping! |
 |
| Metal saucepan. |
 |
| Cast of a reed basket! |
 |
| Another metal saucepan |
This experience completely changed my view of ancient Greece because it was the first time I was so easily able to connect with the people as people. The next day, we went to the Folklore Museum, which was also a wonderful experience, and similarly helped to connect as it had a lot of material culture displays throughout a traditional house. The house was a cave house, cut out of the soft pumice. The temperature remained constant inside, and anytime they (or the museum, when it opened in the 1990s!) needed a new room, they just dug one out.
 |
| Wine processing room... you stomp them in the tub behind the small ladder and the juice pours into the basin at left. |
 |
| One of the newer rooms cut out of the pumice |
 |
| Traditional wine jugs and grape leaves |
 |
| Travis may be strong, but this wasn't the test... the huge pumice stone was very light! |
 |
| The kitchen. Note on the right the cooking pots in a system similar to the portable tripods. |
No comments:
Post a Comment