Monday, July 7, 2014

The many faces of Nafplion

 I loved staying overnight in Nafplion.  I got to see so much more of the city than I have in the past.  Our hotel was in the upper town, which is the part that was constructed during the Ottoman period, and many, many traces of Nafplion's historical periods are left.  These are just a few photos from our walk down to dinner.  Walking through history to dinner... there really is nothing quite like it.

The castle of Acronafplio right above our hotel, built by the Venetians


View of the building across from our hotel.  It was a nest of small buildings with tiny, winding flights of stairs in between.  
Of course adorable kittens lived on many of the stairs!

Turkish fountain with inscription

5 minutes later, another fountain, this one outside of a mosque

Bullet holes preserved in the wall of a church. It was here that President Capodistrias was assassinated in 1831.

Jeremiah and Ellie demonstrating the assassination technique with finger-guns.
And finally, a bit of today's Greece.


No comments:

Post a Comment