Thursday, July 25, 2013

Cultural Conservatism

In my neighborhood, there are two places to get clothes made or fixed.  Two. They are tiny, little fishbowl rooms with windows all across and room for a sewing machine or two and an ironing board.





Downtown there are still neighborhoods dedicated to icons, or chairs, or leather goods, or fabrics.  I went to a bunch of the religious shops looking for tamata, votive offerings.

Tamata, or votive offerings.  You leave them at a church attached to the icon as a prayer for healing, or for luck (with finding a spouse, having a baby, or, judging from bottom left, getting a house!).

Icon in a church with tamata attached below on hooks.
A couple of stores had them, but not the particular ones that I was looking for.  Many didn't sell them at all.  I am not sure if I should have been able to tell which shops would and which would not without asking, but no one displays them even if they have them.  You have to ask.  I finally found a place that another shopkeeper recommended, but he didn't have what I wanted, so he asked me to return in two hours so he could make them for me.  Pretty cool!
Religious paraphernalia shop with shelves built into the stone walls.

The project the guy was working on when I came in.

His tools

The outside of the shop:  Apollonion Street near Mitropoleos

Perikleos:  notions shop

Perikleos Street:  notions and fabrics

More from Perikleos






No comments:

Post a Comment