Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Money changes hands

Money is handled differently here, literally.  Change is not put in the hand, as it is at home, but in a little dish.  Here is one from a cafe I went to in Gazi.

This one was particularly striking as it was mirrored, but even the periptero has a little dish where the change (which includes bills) is placed for you to pick up.  In a culture with a high tolerance for touching, why is money put down and then picked up?  I've not figured out what I am supposed to do... do I hand the person the money I am paying with or do I also put it in the dish? I typically hand the person the money and no one has flinched or hesitated at all, so I guess that is right, but often they put the change down and then I pick it up when in the US it would be handed to me.  They put it in a dish or (in the supermarket) there is a ledge with a lip.  Either way the point is to make it easy to pick up again (as opposed to a flat surface where it can be hard to get leverage on the coins).

No comments:

Post a Comment