Friday, July 5, 2013

Delphi and Arachova

I'm still catching up... 6 weeks in Greece is always a gallop as it is much too short.  And we make it worse because we try to live so many lives while we are here.  We try to immerse ourselves (and the students) in Deree life, with classes and workshops, friends, and neighborhood experiences.  We try to encourage a community in our own group, so we add onto that our potlucks, Ellie's birthday/4th of July party, soccer/frisbee nights, our hike up Hymettos.  And we are living the lives of American tourists, trying to make sure that the students see everything they can:  half-day trips to monuments and sites in Athens, day trips to as many nearby sites as we can, and a couple of overnight trips, too.  Then our family adds to that our time with our Greek friends and our American archaeologist friends.  Finally I am still spending a lot of time in the afternoons and evenings answering emails and skyping my office.  Dad was right... "what free time?"

So I'm going back in time to last weekend before this weekend hits.  This is from Delphi and Arachova.
The omphalos (bellybutton) encased in a net.

The group swoop

Amazing views down the mountain

And across the mountains...very clear day.

Mulberries!

In Arachova our restaurant served us water from the mountain spring that ends in this fountain!
And then it rained!  This means little in Florida, but it never rains in the summer in Greece.  It got cool, too. This whole week has been in the 70s and 80s... so pleasant, and twice I wore a light jacket.

More mountain water, this time at Osios Loukas, the monastery near Delphi.

I love the communal dipper.  Germs are the least of one's worries.

No comments:

Post a Comment