Wednesday, June 24, 2015

A Folklorist's view of archaeology: Delos

Delos yesterday, but I was too tired to post.  4 hours sleep a night for 3 days in a row followed by a rough sea crossing left me just drained!  It was a beautiful day, and we had a good tour guide who knew how to tell stories to help the students reconstruct buildings and the lives in their imagination.  This is also when I realized what a great group we have this year.  They really enjoyed the guide even though he kept us with him the entire three hours.  They are very attentive and curious.
The gang with the Delian lions
This stone was here because of the ancient, ancient inscription, but it had been exposed for centuries, and 18th and 19th century travelers covered the top with their own marks.  It was full of several hundred year old graffiti. I tried to photograph some, but have only my phone.  The pictures aren't bad, but I can't always see what the camera has focused on, and didn't get pictures of what I wanted.  I remember one date was 1792 and other was 1865.
This is some of the graffiti, and I think I can make out a date of 1861.
The gang getting a lesson at the theater
Lions, but African ones as opposed the Eurasian lions with no mane that guarded the sacred lake.
These were across from the lions, but not sure what they are.. Bulls?

Incredible mosaic of Dionysus riding a lion.
Gorgeous
The view. The ocean really is that color.
The tenacity of the plants in this arid land.
I thought this weed was gorgeous.
Walking down a Roman alleyway.
As always, we walk on history:  the ground was littered with pot sherds.

No comments:

Post a Comment