Today was market day. Greece is so complicated, because for tourists, ancient Greece takes precedence, but they are trying to swim through modern Greece to get to it. Phil and I have always tried to connect the two wherever possible. This is one of our more successful ideas. We take the students to the ancient Agora, and Phil talks to them about the uses of the place, trying to help them think about the variety of functions, and help them bridge the gap between the existing foundations and the vibrant town center they represent. Then we march them through one of the more commercial districts to get to the central food markets of Athens - the meat, fish, and vegetable markets, which are surrounded by shops selling spices, beans and pulses, cured meats, cheese, etc. The theme is markets, and mixed use central city space.
I enjoyed the ancient Agora, but as always, I find myself drawn to the later periods, and so my photos from the museum are of the one tiny shelf tucked behind a guard's chair filled with Byzantine pottery.
 |
| I love this person... is it a mermaid with scales and a very pointy chin? Or a man with long locks and a very hairy chest? |
 |
| Love this pot with cutout designs. What needed that kind of air circulation? Bread basket? |
 |
| I love the muted earthy tones and the intricate designs. |
No comments:
Post a Comment