Monday, June 22, 2015

This is what happens when I order without Phil.

The second group dinner.  My teaching isn't always recognizable as teaching to students used to traditional methods:  I curate experiences for them, and then let them have at it.  Group dinners are a great example.  Whenever I take them out as a group, I'm stretching them in some way (tonight it was waistlines as well as intellectually!). I always order for them because I know what is unusual, and the point is education as well as mere feeding.  I order family style (which is typical for Greece, but outside the students' comfort zone), and I get a range of dishes, including unusual meat (goat, offal, snails, seafood), and local specialties.  Tonight's dinner included several eggplant dishes (typically a stretch for 18 year olds), grilled (not fried) calamari, fried pork intestine, zucchini balls, and fish roe.  Unfortunately I didn't realize that this particular restaurant had enormous portions, and so we were defeated, saved only by liberal use of take-out boxes.  I think everyone has dinner for a second night.  The students were very game, trying everything, even the intestine, unwilling to seem too picky in the face of each others' enthusiasm and adventurousness.  Doing this on a study abroad is even more effective than when I do it at home, as they are already deliberately trying to be adventurous.  I'm hoping that this way of eating challenges them to keep pushing themselves out of their comfort zone well beyond the trip.  I don't know for sure, as I've never done any polls, but I think it works, based on how often I run into Greece students or my food class students at unusual food events in Jacksonville.
This is the dinner table AFTER we were all stuffed to the gills, and we cancelled two sets of dishes.  


Lamb for Phil
This was described as "Bellymeat" on the menu.  It is fried pork intestine.  For those NPR listeners:  I'm for The Bung.  Not bad at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment