I figured out how to upload posts from my phone, and was trying to type "meal with a view" to echo the post about hotels, but my autocorrect changed it to "worth" which I thought was a pretty good interpretation. In another post, it changed "put" into "puke" which made sense with my day of choppy seas, but that is another story.
I am struck by how full a sensory experience dining in Greece is. These are just a few random pictures of tables I considered sitting at, just for the view. At dinner, there was a pot of fresh basil on the table, and I knew what it was for, but the waiter was visiting another table, cupped the whole thing in his hands, drew them across the leaves, and inhaled the fragrance from his hands, silently confirming my understanding. Earlier today, I stopped in Mykonos at the cafe where we first discovered the revelation that was fresh juice -- watermelon, peach, and the very best, strawberry, and sat facing the sea listening to the lap of the waves against the seawall. Then I remember chain restaurants in the US with outdoor seating facing parking lots. Why, I ask, why don't we get it? A dinner complete with fragrance, melody, and a vista, in addition to food that seems to be universally delicious is so completely satisfying.
 |
| Nothing is more delightful. |
 |
| I don't know what is more lovely, the wine or the fishing boats. |
 |
| A whole row of cafes with tables on the beach. In sand. |
 |
| Even my balcony includes two chairs, a fold-down table attached to the rail for sipping coffee and eating one of the treats found at reception: loukoumia (Turkish Delight, which Edward sold out his siblings for), pastries, crepes, or fresh apricots, depending on time of day. |
No comments:
Post a Comment