Tuesday, June 23, 2015

The new wave

Ever since I saw my first Selfie Stick held by an Asian tourist in Greece last summer, I wondered how long it would take to catch on with our crew.  Answer:  1 year.  I've only seen one so far, and the owner wasn't quite sure how to use it, so it took about 10 minutes for them to set up.  Here is my question:  Is this a useful convenience or is it yet another way to reduce interaction with strangers?  Yesterday, while strolling around, I saw a child taking her mom's picture and I offered to take one of both of them together.  I was happy, they were happy, and everyone felt good about the interaction.  I love it that strangers will trust me with their camera or phone in this world of distrust and fear.  I feel the same way about tinted windows.  While I appreciate being able to change into my bathing suit in my car in a public parking lot, I am very sorry that no one can see me wave "thank you" when they let me into a line of cars.  I am attuned to the ubiquity of interactions with strangers in Greece, and the pleasure everyone here seems to take with them, and how we as Americans seem to find ever more ways to reduce them.
Selfie Stick Silliness
The Bigger Picture

No comments:

Post a Comment