I wonder how recent the trend for regional Greek cuisine is? I don't remember any from the 1990s, but I may not have understood enough about Greece to have recognized it. There is a lot of Cretan food around Deree, and boy, is it great. Cretan food includes Dakos, with "rusks" (hard bread) topped with tomato and cheese and sometimes other things and lots of snails. We also went to a "Politiki" restaurant (from Constantinople), which generally means more cumin than cinnamon, and the addition of hummus to the menu (which is not normally found in Greece) . I've also had local specialties in various regions. Monday I added Smyrneiko to my list. It was subtly different. Vinegar where I am used to lemon, the addition of peppers and some different spices to an eggplant salad, pesto added to grilled squid.
![]() |
| Smyrneiko Ouzeri |
![]() |
| My, those octopi are FRESH (and tender)! |
![]() |
| Tomato-balls |
![]() |
| Grilled squid with pesto sauce |
![]() |
| Smyrneiko salad with a sweet dressing and eggplant salad with peppers and large chunks of garlic...mmmmm! |





No comments:
Post a Comment