 |
| A Turkish-era fountain |
 |
| Building with Palamidi behind |
 |
| Very European atmosphere in the old town |
 |
| The new-age komboloi shop that we discovered this visit. |
This is one of my favorite cities. I like its nineteenth
century European style, which always makes me feel a bit guilty as I am essentially admiring
its non-Greekness. I also like it's size (about 15,000 people), its walkability, and its friendliness. The students went to the beach. Phil and I wandered around, had a nice lunch, and shopped a little. We went into a komboloi shop (worry bead shop, a specialty in Nafplion) and Anne, the artist taught us how to use them and gave us a lesson on all the benefits of reflexology we gain from using them. We each found our correct beads (though you need several sets for your many moods). She has an interesting innovation: a single evil eye bead used to turn the loop into a bracelet so that you can have them on you at all times without fumbling for them in a bag or pocket. The beads are traditionally something used by men, so this also turns them into a more feminine gift. I love the blending of traditional, new age wellness, and modern adaptations to build a larger market.
No comments:
Post a Comment