Friday, July 27, 2018

Vassiliki

The king of herbs.  But not in food.  Basil is EVERYWHERE!!  You see it on the street. 

They sell it at floral shops. It is outside every shop, every restaurant, on  every balcony.  


But you don't eat it.  I wanted some for cooking with, but couldn't find any at the laiki market where there was mint, dill, parsley, and other herbs. I couldn't find any at the grocery stores. I had a brainstorm and bought myself a pot at a florists' shop. Silly me, it was edible, but not tasty.  Here it is bought for the smell. I hear it keeps mosquitoes away.  


It also just smells good.  The air is perfumed with jasmine in the day, and heady night-blooming jasmine at night. The hills are covered with oregano and thyme.  There are roses and sometimes gardenias.  Honeysuckle is common, as are citrus trees.  Produce is sold with the cry "aromata kai chromata" (fragrance and color).  

Fragrance is very important here, but don't try to eat the basil!

The little pot on my balcony.

No comments:

Post a Comment