Several things interested me at Meteora this time. One, of course, was the ossuary. I talked to the students about how after 3 years of individual burial, a person's bones are exhumed, cleaned, and placed in an ossuary, a communal place for the storage of bones. I love the idea that after being mourned as an individual for 3 years, one becomes one with his or her peers -- part of a community and mourned communally. In some places, I think people are still kept separately, like the bone boxes in Athens, but in some the bones are intermingled. In this one like bones are kept together, not skeletons from single individuals.
I also loved watching the 1920s video of how people were conveyed up to the monasteries using the net. See the video below.
![]() |
| The Ossuary |
I also loved watching the 1920s video of how people were conveyed up to the monasteries using the net. See the video below.

No comments:
Post a Comment