I am so enjoying accompanying students on their site visits! Here is the Temple of Olympian Zeus with Carly:
![]() |
| Collossal column with the Acropolis, Arch of Hadrian and modern buildings all in one shot. |
![]() |
| This little gem is squished in between two modern concrete blocks. |
![]() |
| My travellers would see this as a symbol of the mortality of all civilizations... it fell during a terrific storm in the 1850s... survived nearly 2000 years to be toppled by wind... |
Next I went to the Ceramics Museum in a surviving mosque in Monastiraki with Alec. The mosque was saved by a scholar who wanted to use it as a folk museum, thus reclaiming it as a Greek monument...Both the building and its contents were fascinating:
![]() |
| Surviving fresco inside the former mosque. |
![]() |
| Folk Art with capital letters not everyday used objects, but art by named artists working in "folk" styles |
That was yesterday. Today I went to the Benaki Museum with Kathryn. It is the only museum I've been to in Greece that gives equal time to ancient, Byzantine and "modern" (19th-20th century) material culture. The museum is organized chronologically from the neolithic period to the modern day, except for the "War of Independence" exhibit at the top above the cafe...
![]() |
| Musical instruments from the 19th century |
![]() |
| Lord Byron's own pistols |
![]() |
| Byron's own writing desk |








No comments:
Post a Comment