Fresh juice is a big thing in Greece, and was when we were here in 1994-5, so it seems an ongoing trend. In the grocery store, you can get Strawberry (the kids' favorite), peach, mixed apple and peach and maybe apricot?, and other flavors. I know you can get lots of juice in the US, but this is different:
Can you see that it is 42% strawberry and cherry juice? And then there is lime, and the color is from elderberries. Sugar, yes, but HFCS, no! And this isn't the good stuff.
The good stuff is ambrosial; fresh squeezed. Remember, I was swooning over the flavor of the fruits from the laiki agora, and that is the stuff they seem to be using in the fresh squeezed juices. We've had divine orange juice, of course, but also watermelon and strawberry. I've never tasted anything so refreshing as chilled strawberry juice (mixed, I think with a little club soda, as it was a little effervescent) after walking around in the heat. The fresh squeezed juices are not cheap -- we once had some that was only $4 a glass, and have paid as much as $13 (it came with a view of the sea and a sea breeze...), but I think this is one of those Greek experiences that are simply worth it. WHY CAN'T WE DO THIS AT HOME? (I suppose because we'd be broke.)
No comments:
Post a Comment