The ride to Thessaloniki was 6 hours in the end, but an interesting experience. I slept a lot of the first part, which was slow as it was through the mountains.
We began to stir and look around us when the train stopped, and were told that they were changing engines at Domokos.
It turns out they need the diesel to get through the mountains, which is slow but powerful. Then they switch to a fast electric train, finishing the last half of the trip (half by the map, which doesn’t account for the up and down of mountains, so perhaps it was much less than half) in about 1.5 hours. At Domokos we had a set of contradicting (to my mind) experiences. 1. Our first squatty potty in Greece. I got to show Ellie how to do it. In my China blog, I worked through this – if you’ve got the leg strength, it is actually healthier for, well, #2. I won’t go into detail, but it is. So I am a fan.
Then there was 2. The beautiful landscaping. Not just beautiful, but productive: grape vines, olive trees and flowers. Lovely. Do the two contradict? A squatty potty and beautiful landscaping? Maybe, although perhaps both are signs that modernity hasn’t taken complete hold up here.
No comments:
Post a Comment