Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Past is Everywhere

I took a walk with Alex and Ellie to get a cell phone charger for my borrowed Greek phone, so I went the back way to Mesogeion St, the huge busy street that wraps around two sides of our neighborhood (the third is the mountain top of Hymettos!).  We were walking on a hot, busy, non-pedestrian divided highway when I suddenly realized that the construction to my right was OLD!

Ancient Ruins.  My guess is Roman from the brickwork.  We are 6 miles from ancient Athens, on a mountainside that is only now a suburb of Athens!
Then a couple of blocks later, I found something not quite as old, but in better shape:
Old church with something excavated in the front churchyard.

Column in the churchyard.
They were just sitting there, out on this busy divided highway lined with commercial businesses (not shops, but bigger things... not a walking neighborhood), up on the side of the mountain...

No comments:

Post a Comment