Thursday, July 28, 2011

Merides: warning violent food images!

I love merides, the plate of little fish (Gravros?) that you eat whole:  skin, bones and all.  We hadn’t had any, but Eurydice bought some for us and was preparing them.  Part of our relationship is cooking together, so although I saw the sink full of blood and guts and was revolted, I had two thoughts:  1.  I cook with Eurydice, and 2.  I’m going to eat this, so I should not allow myself to be revolted by the preparation (one day I am going to kill and clean my own chicken). 

 I tried one, but the guts began to ooze out and I threw it in the sink with a yelp.  But there was Ellie, totally undaunted, and she ripped the heads off of a dozen before she wandered away (after a thorough handwashing) to play with the boys.

  Not to be put to shame by my 4 year old, I did it.  In fact, I may have done as much as half.

No comments:

Post a Comment