Tuesday, July 19, 2011

You Don't Waste Space.

What I've read is that because of the old inheritance laws and the recent movement to Athens (since the 1950s), everyone owns land in Greece, so everyone knows how to grow things, and cares to do it.  In Athens, that isn't so easy, but people manage.  Here are some olive trees used as street trees.
What I've read is that because of the old inheritance laws and the recent movement to Athens (since the 1950s), everyone owns land in Greece, so everyone knows how to grow things, and cares to do it.  In Athens, that isn't so easy, but people manage.  Here are some olive trees used as street trees.
I've read some articles about inheritance laws, and land was often subdivided over and over into smaller and smaller parcels to be divided among children, so everyone owns land, and often small plots scattered around the village.  So everyone knows (at least until recently, maybe) how to grow things, tend trees, process olives.  It feels like some of that translates to the city, where there are fruit trees squeezed in everywhere.  Figs are a tough weedy tree that finds water and grows out of cracks in the sidewalk, so many of them may or may not be deliberately planted, but others, like the olives used as street trees:
There is a whole row of them.

And there are olives ripening on them!
 There are also citrus trees right on the street.  I've heard they aren't sweet citrus, but still, it is very inviting on a hot afternoon when you are thirsty...
Orange trees on the street, with both old and ripening fruit.

And many places there are other fruit trees on the street.  On our street there are a whole line of plum trees.  These are new, and you can still see the tag that says "prunos" on it.
Right at the bottom is the white tag that identifies the new tree.

I have to say that though I love trees, this one really irritates me.  Sidewalks are apparently NOT for walking on.  I guess they are side-orchards?
There is no getting past this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment